Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gandhigiri

A few days ago I posted an article about the film "Lage Raho Munna Bhai" winning an award in India as the best popular film. Today I was perusing The Times of India and I came across a headline that included the word "Gandhigiri," a term I'd never heard of (the article is about a former convict on a hunger strike to retrieve his passport and visa--you can read the article here).

It turns out the term "Gandhigiri," used in the film "Lage Raho Munna Bhai," has become something of a phenomenon in India and is routinely linked to the resurgence of Gandhian ideals. I guess I missed this since I don't speak Hindi. The film contrasts the concept of "dadagiri," which is apparently used in India to refer to the use of bullying or force, with "Gandhigiri," which is now regularly used to refer to the use of moral persuasion and non-violence. There's a long entry on "Gandhigiri" in Wikipedia and a host of sites and news reports about this (not uncontroversial) phenomenon. Follow the link below if you're interested in a more in-depth discussion of the "Gandhigiri" phenomenon.

Read more

No comments: